19 Aug 2017, 11:01 AM
2. China is not too worried by expanding US-India Ties. What are the reasons for Beijing’s composure? Critically discussWrite your answer
19 Aug 2017, 11:00 AM
1. Indian diplomacy appears to have changed by mentioning Baluchistan and talking openly about the alleged human rights violations in the region. Is this the beginning of a new diplomacy? CommentWrite your answer
18 Aug 2017, 07:34 AM
2. “The Give It Up Campaign” motivates well-to-do citizens to voluntarily surrender their subsidized LPG connection and purchase it in market price. Analyse the campaign for its strength and weakness and justify whether it will succeed in realizing its objective.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi coined the slogan - "give it up" - to exhort the better off sections of society to forego their LPG subsidy that can be utilised in providing subsidised LPG connections to the poor. Accordingly, the Government has launched the ‘GiveItUp’ campaign which is aimed at motivating LPG users who can afford to pay the market price for LPG to voluntarily surrender their LPG subsidy.
LPG is a highly subsidized commodity in India and the subsidy burden was more than Rs. 40,000 crores during 2013-14. The subsidy saved can be used for development activities thereby benefitting all citizens.
It is a very well-known fact that LPG subsidies hold major share in government expenditures because of which UPA 2 government reduced number of subsidized cylinder per connection to 6 which was later on changed to 12 due to political pressure. Since LPG gas is major source of fuel for most Indian kitchens thus their price matters a lot to common man.
After the appeal of the ex-PM of India Lal Bahadur Shastri to the people to donate for the cause of the Indo-Pak War of 1965, comes this direct appeal from the PM.
Strength of the scheme
Weakness of the scheme
The ‘Giveitup” campaign is a multipronged campaign to reduce the subsidy burden and to target the deserved families for LPG subsidies. the uniques is its voluntariness and linking this campaign to corporate social responsibility motivating their employees to surrender their subsidized LPG connections. The government should make the campaign more popular, easier with an assurance that the surrendered LPG subsidized can be received later upon request.
According to sources at the petroleum ministry, the next step after achieving the one million mark would be to leverage the campaign on the social media.Write your answer
18 Aug 2017, 07:34 AM
1. Despite its uneven history in India, decentralisation is vital to strengthen participatory democracy, facilitate responsive governance and enable public service delivery. Discuss
Third, sustainable decentralisation comes from the demands of the people and advocacy should focus on a decentralisation agenda. Indeed, the framework needs to be evolved to accommodate the demand for decentralisation. Even within the existing framework, it is important for intellectuals and the press to pressurise the States to comply with the Constitutional provisions like creation of planning authorities and appointment.Write your answer
17 Aug 2017, 10:10 AM
2. Most of the unusual climatic happenings are explained as an outcome of the El-Nino effect. Do you agree?Write your answer